You can take the following hygiene measures during menstruation:
- Take a bath or shower at least once a day.
- Use clean undergarments and change them regularly.
- Change pads or tampons regularly.
- Wash the genital area with plain water (no soap) after each use of toilet and even after urination.
- Keep the area between the legs dry, otherwise you may experience chafing.
- It is very important to remember that vagina has its own self cleaning mechanism and an external cleaning agent like deodorant or soap should not be used inside it.
- unicef, Indian ministry of rural development(2008), Sharing simple facts: A guidance book on menstrual hygiene management